A guide to choose EoC: Ethernet over Coax equipment
EoC Equipment Overview
Ethernet over Coax or (EoC) is the technologies that supports the transmission of Ethernet or IP Video over coaxial cable.The application of EoC is famous for those features: simple, stable, secure and low cost etc.Generally speaking, EoC equipment has two models, including:
- Passive Eoc(baseband);
- Active EoC.
Technologies & application of Active EoC
Due to the technology issue, as we know, currently the main EoC solution in the market we are using is active EoC. This post is also mainly focus on the active EoC, and introducing its main technologies & applications:
- WiFi over Coax
- MoCA-Multimedia over Coax Alliance
- HomePlug (BPL/AV)
- DOCSIS EOC
Key EoC parameters to choose:
How to choose a suitable EoC product according to your project or requirement? We may find the answer on those five key factors as following:
- The main IEEE protocol features, for example, IEEE 802.1D, STP protocol to prevent the spanning tree loops, and broadcast storm suppression.
- Support rich OAM management: supports SNMP v1/v2/v3 all MIB, CLI command line, Web NMS, Telnet and remote upgrade, easy maintenance.
- Support time division multiple access (TDMA) protocol, to satisfy the distribution structure in existing HFC network, to meet the “point to multipoint” mode, to ensure multi-users’ high transmission traffic.
- Support bandwidth limitations both at uplink and downlink direction.
- EoC slave/terminal should support port isolation, to provide a user application security.
EoC Technical specification
For better understand full list of EoC technical specification, here sharing a FOT EOC specification tables.
Model EoC Equipment Series
Power Consumption 30W/35W
Homeplug RF Occupied Bandwith:：7.5～65MHz；Output Power：≥110dBuV
CATV RF Occupied Bandwith: 87-862MHz;Input Return Loss:>16dB; Insert Loss:≤1dB Flatness:±0.75dB£»
C/N:≥51dB（-1dBmN）; C/CTB: ≥65dB;C/CSO: ≥60dB；RF Output Signal Level: ≥110dBuv；
Optical Character Data Optical Interface:1 EPON interface, single mode, FC/PC
Data Optical transmission Wavelength: 1310nm
Data Optical Receiving Wavelength:1490nm
TV Optical Receiving Wavelength:1100 to 1600nm, typical 1550nm
TV Receiving Optical Power:-7dBm to +2dBm
TV Receiving Optical recommended Power: -3dBm to +1dBm
TV Optical Interface: Single, FC/APC
Connection Type F breakthrough Connector(inch/metric optional)
RF Impedance 75Ω
Standards Compliance IEEE HomePlug AV、IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3x, IEEE 802.3u Auto MDI(X)
Remote Management Support remote WEB management, TELENT, SNMP; Support centralized
management on all connected EoC terminals
Coding Mode Asynchronous
Modulation Mode OFDM
Transmission Distance 500m-1000m
Encryption Mode 128-bit AES
Power Parameter AC 110V—264V/AC40-75V
Operation Temperature -25～65 ℃
With the matures development in EoC technology, EoC solution is becoming a major choice for cable, HFC broadband access network.EoC master works with EOC slave in Ethernet over coax network and provides layer-2 Ethernet Access to users through television coaxial cable and meanwhile without influence on the existing CATV signal transmission.