EoC:Ethernet over Coax + FTTH EPON/GPON solution
As the triple play solution is approaching in various countries, more and more popular use existing coaxial cable (from Cable Television or CATV), to carry broadband data into and through the home, and into Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) installations.
As shown, broadcast application services like analog TV, digital TV are transmitted to optical receiver from C.O (Center office)’s CATV Center/VoD server.
At the same time, data applications, like Internet/IP services traffic are delivered to ONU from remote IP/Core system, via EPON/GPON OLT. Optical receiver and ONU/ONT are connected to EoC by coaxial cable and LAN caber;
In the cable television network Bi-Directional transformation solution, there are several choices to achieve:
- First, traditional HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coaxial) solution;
- Second, fiber to the building + LAN in home solution.
- Besides, a new solution that EPON (or GPON) + EoC (Ethernet over Coax ) technical solutions is attracting more and more attentions.
obviously, after years of experience, the third solution is the best choice, with following key features:
- Be able to combined HFC, LAN;
- Fiber mixed with Copper;
- Competitive cost.
EoC terminal is installed indoor for signal receiving and demutiplexing.EoC carries available physical bandwidth, which meets broadband need in a well-organized
network.Taking advantage of existing HFC network, EoC does not need rewiring, which saves residential network resource, reducing construction costs.
Showing as the above “FTTH EPON EoC solution”, there are three different applications scenes：
- In the first EPON+LAN solution, CATV signal transmitted via optical fiber network from bone network to residential building, and switch to coaxial cable network through the optical receiver. At the other side, the EPON ONU locate in the residential building is used to received Ethernet signal coming from EPON OLT. In this solution, there are two cable entering home: LAN cable and coaxial cable.
- The second is EPON+ Passive EoC solution, CATV and Ethernet signal are combined in the EoC combiner and split to each home. And they are separated by EoC terminal with LAN port and CATV port.
- The third is EPON+ Active EoC solution, which use EoC master in the building to combine and mange CATV and Ethernet signal. EoC slave in home receive the combined signal from EoC master and output the CATV and Ethernet separately.
The second and third solution use EoC combiner or EoC master to combine the CATV and Ethernet signal, so there is only one cable entering home: coaxial cable. Transmitting cable television and two-way data signal on the same coaxial cable will greatly simplify the HFC network bi-directional transformation.